Introduction

Welcome to the Archive. Here you'll find all of my ride reports from the first eight years of cycling in Wales. The layouts used here are in the previous design which I'm currently updating, so be sure check back!

Sunday, March 24, 2019

SOLITAIRE 
Magor & Seawall Explore


I rode out along the Gwent Levels for an exceptional day of cycling which included a bit of seaside exploring as well as my longest, laziest ride of the year!

 
Looking out across the Bristol Channel from the seawall below Redwick...

Overview - Magor & Seawall Explore
Total Distance: Distance: 79.7 miles
Total Elevation: + 2951 / - 2950 ft
Total Duration: 08:41:04
I had the modest goal of making my way down to Newport and then turning east out along the Gwent Levels toward Caldicot and Magor. It was to be a day of easy cycling along mostly flat and open terrain. ▼ View Summary
The weather forecast that it was to be sunny and mild all day, so I wanted to relax and just spend my time wandering. Melanie made me several sandwiches for lunch, so I packed my thermos and everything else I thought I might need and headed out early.

Sunday mornings are incredibly quiet here in Wales... especially at 7:30 am. I hardly saw a car as I made my way through Blackwood High Street and then down through the sleepy villages of Ynysddu, Cwmfelinfach, Wattsville and Crosskeys, where I entered the canal path (NCN Route 47).

Once in Newport, I decided that since the morning was so nice and the roads so empty that I turned west and rode out to Marshfield for a few extra miles. I then got on Lighthouse Road for a scenic ride back into town. Bonus points!

The temperature was chilly at 7°c, but the sun was bright and the sky cloudless. By the time I reached the Transporter Bridge back in Newport, it was not yet 10 am and I already had 30 miles under my saddle. Time for a brief stop, coffee and a snack.

I've cycled the route along the Gwent Levels many times now and on a day like this it is incredibly relaxing. My mind wandered thoughtlessly as I pedalled an easy 10 miles through Nash and Goldcliff to reach tiny little Redwick as the church bells rang.

This area is popular to cycle because it's very flat, so many other cyclists were out by this time... all waving "hello" and "good morning" and "lovely day". Fabulous.

I continued on a little further to Undy where I next turned onto the B4245 and headed across to the village of Magor.

I wandered about the village for a short while. It's a charming place with many narrow lanes leading in all directions a bit like a squirrel's nest. I then turned and headed back to Redwick as I had come, passing more cyclists and walkers and folks milling about their yards, all waving hello once again.

It was wonderful to be out. Everyone was full of smiles and you could sense the joy people felt just to be outside in the warm early Spring sun.

Once again in Redwick, I turned down a back lane off the main road to find an even smaller lane heading out toward the water. A sign read; "Mead Farm Road Not suitable for motorized traffic" and that was all the encouragement I needed. I was away!

Mead Farm Road changes over to a dirt track not long after passing the farm itself, which then leads you for roughly another mile to a junction and the seawall.

There's a rather aggressive-looking high wire fence with a small side gate through which I squeezed my bike and then made my way another hundred yards up onto the seawall itself. I later found this area on the map to be called "Scarog Bay".

And what a view, eh? I certainly didn't expect to find this on my ride. But as luck comes to those who look for it, I found both an interesting route with an incredible view on a beautiful day. I could smell the salt air mixed with a slight mustiness from the estuary. It was simply stunning.

I had a few gates to lift my bike and clamber over, but so what? It's no big deal when you've got miles of scenery like this. In fact, I met a friendly couple walking along the seawall who said I couldn't get through... so, it just goes to show what can be achieved with a little effort.

The ground was hard-packed with the grass cut short so that rolling along was a breeze. And speaking of breezes, there weren't any. The shoreline is often quite windy and exposed as I was... raised up off the water; it could have been a nightmare.

On the east coast of the US most beaches are lined with houses all choc-a-bloc, one after the other, leaving hardly any room to even access the beach itself. It's pretty horrible really. So I found the beaches of Wales quite surprising - the contrast could not be more different.

However, this pink monster surprised me too. Not much to look at architecturally, but jeesuz, this is quite the exclusive beach front property. Talk about a million dollar view!

There were a few rough places as I passed through a paddock for horses near the end. But soon after this gate, I made my way down to the Seawall Cafe and exited.

This place is a mecca for cyclists and most everyday of the week you can find the place packed as many local bike clubs stop here for a cuppa. Today however, it is closed for bereavement. Here is their Trip Advisor review(s); Seawall Tearooms.

I had a short ride back to Newport and then to 14 Locks for the remainder of my way home. I stopped briefly as I passed over the Rhymney River for it was surprisingly loud. I could smell the freshness from a light mist that was blowing up from the rushing water. Amazing.

I discovered one more surprise as I turned down the Monmouth & Brecon Canal (NCN Route 47). Just above 14 Locks they have begun to put down tarmac where once it was a rough dirt track. This is very cool indeed, because I cycle this route at least once a week and often I find this section quite muddy. Good job Newport County Borough!


Summary - Magor & Seawall Explore
It was a wonderful Spring day in Wales. This is what I want from my cycling in 2019. It was a perfect ride.

Then I was home. And what is unusual for a lengthy ride at this time of year; I was home before dark. Yet another bonus!

I hope you enjoyed this report. Thanks for taking the time to visit my site...

Cheers! - cm
Relevant Links  
Report Card
Ride Name: Magor & Seawall
Start Date: Mon. Mar. 24, 2019
Starts in: Oakdale, Wales, GB
Departed: 6:43 AM
Distance: 79.7 mi / 128.3 km
Elevation: + 2951 / - 2950 ft
Max Grade: 12.0%
Duration: 08:41:04
Move Time: 06:43:42
Stop Time: 01:57:22
Max. Speed: 28.5 mph
Avg. Speed: 11.8 mph
Weather: sun, sun, sun
Temp: 14°c / 57°f
The following NCN routes were used in part or in whole:

Ads Inside Post