Introduction

Welcome to the Archive. Here you'll find all of my ride reports from the first eight years of cycling in Wales. The layouts used here are in the previous design which I'm currently updating, so be sure check back!

Saturday, April 6, 2019

SOLITAIRE 
Llangattock & Abergavenny


The forecast for the day had called for dark clouds with a chance of showers. However, the situation changed once I realised the weather folks had it all wrong!

 
Heading out Llangattack Escarpment on a lovely Sunday afternoon...

Overview - Llangattock & Abergavenny
Total Distance: Distance: 65.4 miles
Total Elevation: + 4745 / - 4745 ft
Total Duration: 09:21:21
My plan was to go for a straight-forward training ride... something simple to ease myself into longer rides. As you will see, this ride became quite an adventure. A great long day in the saddle. ▼ Jump to Summary
Due to the differing characteristics of my route, I've divided this report into three sections. The first part leading from my home up to Brynmawr is somewhat urban in that the route snakes along the old rail line connecting the villages of the Ebbw Valley. The second part becomes exceptionally scenic as I leave Brynmawr and head out across Llangattock Escarpment overlooking Clydach Gorge.

And lastly, my return home takes me from the hills above Abergavenny through the rural countryside of the Vale of Usk including a short section of the Monmouth & Brecon Canal.


Note: The accompanying photos were all taken with my Samsung smartphone. It's not ideal and only really works well in sunlight, but I had to give it a go because it was such a spectacular day!
Oakdale to Brynmawr
The start is a simple ride winding down through the villages of Croespenmaen, Newbridge, and Crumlin. It's a quick drop of over 500 feet in 2.5 miles which then connects to NCN Route 465 where the slow climb up the Ebbw Valley begins.

This first short section is not listed on the Sustrans website, nor is it shown on the Open Street map, however; it's the old disused Main Road that connects Crumlin and Llanhilleth. It's well maintained and traffic-free for an easy mile to where the route officially begins. The route then follows the road for a short distance into town and continues to the village of Aberbeeg. From Aberbeeg, the route again becomes traffic-free as you rejoin the old rail line into the woods to Six Bells and Abertillery.


 


 
I always look down this alley when passing through Llanhilleth. It's a rather unique perspective to see so many back gardens lined up against each other. For anyone wishing to cycle this route from further south, there is a train station in Llanhilleth making it easily accessible from Cardiff.

The first stopping point is just off the cycle path in Six Bells and you'd miss it if you didn't know it was there. But, if you're cycling along NCN Route 465 it is a must stop.

The Gaurdian stands over the site of the former Six Bells Colliery to commemorate the 1960 mining disaster that claimed the lives of 45 men and boys. The sculpture is made from welded cordite steel rings giving it an almost transparent appearance, yet the the hair, fabric, and the man's muscles are incredibly detailed. As he stands looking over the valley, with outstretched hands; it's an awe inspiring sculpture to behold.

Coming out of the woods, the route joins the road again as it passes through the village of Abertillery. I took this photo to show how narrow the valley becomes in places. Many of the homes sit right across from the river. (Also of note is the abandoned cycle track; additional photos can be viewed in my article; New Mudguards & Brake Levers.)

The path closely follows the river for the next couple of miles. It occasionally narrows in places where the weeds haven't been cut back and it can be muddy at times, but it's very quiet with hardly anyone about.

There's a lovely footbridge crossing a bend in the river where you can sometimes spot fish swimming in the clear water. Today, I was not the only one looking...

I stood on the bridge for about thirty minutes just watching the heron. So often they fly off whenever someone approaches, but today this one seemed fine with me watching and photographing. Amazing!

The route continues a short distance before coming out of the woods at Blaina. It then follows a dual-use path running beside the very busy and terribly uninteresting A467 for two miles to Nantyglo. However, from there into Brynmawr it seems as if time has stopped. The downtown is clean and quiet. People stand chatting along the streets and wave hello as I pass and it feels as if life hasn't changed here in 50 years.

This is the perfect place for my first stop. Time for some coffee and a snack. I've traveled just over 16 miles in two hours (including bird-watching!) Of particular notice is the Market Hall Cinema. It's the oldest operating in Wales.


Brynmawr to Abergavenny
The next section I'll be traveling is exceptionally scenic and very unique. It's not part of any specific cycle route, but I always see folks cycling along the road for it is pefectly flat and virtually traffic-free for five miles.

Currently north of Brynmawr there is a tremendous amount of road work along the Heads of the Valley dual carriageway. A bridge has been removed with a new foot bridge put in it's place. This required climbing quite a few steps to reach the far side.(Should have taken photos!)


 


 
Once outside of town, I headed out an unnamed road(?) toward Brynmawr Foundation School. A friend at Sustrans pointed out this small road which runs parallel to NCN Route 46 through Clydach Gorge; however, this route is high across the valley on the opposite side to the gorge itself.

And if you look at the photos, you will understand. The views are nothing short of spectacular.

Yes, the road is very narrow and follows right along a very, very steep embankment. There are no guardrails with a drop of over 600 feet to the valley floor.

It's a stunning view down the valley and reiterates my saying; "Wales is like living in a model railroad." There is so much to see in such a small area. It is astounding.

The vistas continue for five miles along this cliff edge. In the distance are Sugarloaf Mountain (left) and the Skirrid (center). Behind that lay the Brecon Beacons. Directly to my right is the Blorenge, noted by it's scarred sides from quarrying.

This side too has it's scars. I pass several places cut into the sides of the mountain. This is the Llangattock Escarpment. I cycled out here with the Kingfishers last year and we climbed up to one of the more notable sites. You can read about that adventure here; "The Lonely Shepherd".

There's a short road with a car park just off to my left where you can then climb up to the Lonely Shepherd. Surprisingly, no one is about today.

Just before you reach the end of the road there's a turn off to the right. It's surprisingly steep and takes you 700 feet down the mountain in just over a mile! Yeah... that works out at 14%... for a mile. (Scroll back up and check the route elevation profile...)

Along the way down there are some lovely homes tucked into the hillside, plus the views are spectacular. It's worthwhile not only to stop to enjoy the views, but to rest your hands and forearms. (Mine were seriously cramping from braking...)

And then you come out in the sleepy village of Llangattock just above the Monmouth & Brecon Canal. It's still surprises me to see such variety and beauty in such a small country. I am so very fortunate to have this land to cycle through.

Across from Llangattock is the legendary Crickhowell. I won't go into detail about this place now. That's for another report, but I'll leave you with a couple of quick "postcard" shots of the bridge looking across the River Usk.

The next six miles follow the A4077 (Crickhowell Road) south into Abergavenny. It's a lovely road in places, but can also be quite busy. Fortunately too, it's mostly flat and rolling so I shot down the road into Abergavenny with little concern. Castle Meadows was perfect for my second stop.

The town was exceptionally quiet for a Saturday. The castle here is another location I wish to visit and photograph. I paused for a moment along NCN Route 46 for a quick shot before heading north out of town.


Abergavenny to Pontypool
Leaving north out of town the route snakes behind small housing estates whilst following along the sleepy little Gavenny River. In less than a mile the route turns under the A465 and begins a fairly intense climb for a couple of miles. Fortunately, it's very quiet and shaded. It's actually quite a lovely lane, so it's the perfect climb to relax and take your time.

 


 
The National Cycle routes running through Abergavenny can be rather confusing. NCN Route 42 and NCN Route 46 crossover each other, merge, and divide in ways that are not very clear on the Sustrans map (below). However, volunteers have done a great job putting signs along the road, so the key is an Ordinance Survey map.

Half way up the hill NCN Route 46 branches off to the left (north) whilst NCN Route 42 carries on heading east. At the top of the ridge there's more relaxing riding over the rolling countryside.

This is just what I like best; quiet lanes, wide vistas, and a beautiful day. The lane travels west for a couple of miles before abruptly turning south into the Vale of Usk.

The Skirrid towers off to my left, whilst the valley spreads slowly out to my right. The sounds of newborn lambs, an occasional blackbird, and the crunching of my tyres are all that I can hear now.

This time of the year, at this time of day, everything is perfect. There is no rush to get anywhere. I am here. Cycling doesn't get any better than this.

I've been wanting to stop at this bridge ever since I saw a painting of it. I've cycled over it a hundred times, yet had no idea that it had such style.

The valley is populated with working farms and quaint architecture. NCN Route 42 continues on to the village of Usk, but I'll be turning west toward Gotre Wharf.

Once at Goytre Wharf, I climb onto the tow path for the Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal; NCN Route 49. It's getting late in the afternoon. The next six miles to Pontypool are eazy-peazy.

I take my last break for the day just outsdie the canal in Pontypool City Park. From here I'll be following NCN Route 466 across the valley to the village of Crumlin. It's a mixture of road and traffic-free cycling.


Summary - Llangattock & Abergavenny
I arrived home sometime after 9 pm; completely exhausted and ready for a long shower. I shot far more photos than I planned - which in turn made my trip much longer.

Despite being mostly overcast, the day was warm and dry. It was another perfect day of cycling in this lovely little country I call home.

I hope you enjoyed this report. Thanks for taking the time to visit my site...

Cheers! - cm
Relevant Links  
Report Card
Ride Name: Llang. & Aber.
Start Date: Sat. Apr. 06, 2019
Starts in: Oakdale, Wales, GB
Departed: 11:15 AM
Distance: 65.4 mi / 105.3 km
Elevation: + 4745 / - 4745 ft
Max Grade: 14.1%
Duration: 09:21:21
Move Time: 06:35:49
Stop Time: 02:45:32
Max. Speed: 32.5 mph
Avg. Speed: 9.9 mph
Weather: clouds, sun
Temp: 13°c / 54°f
The following NCN routes were used in part or in whole:

Ads Inside Post