Introduction

Welcome to the Archive. Here you'll find all of my ride reports from the first eight years of cycling in Wales. The layouts used here are in the previous design which I'm currently updating, so be sure check back!

Saturday, October 17, 2020

BIKE & HIKE 
Machen Mountain Monster


I am fascinated with exploring. My passion for discovering new and interesting places led me on one of my most ambitious climbs to date.
I didn't start out thinking this would be a Bike & Hike event. In fact, I thought I had a pretty good idea of where I was going. I had been looking at Google Maps for a road over the top of Machen Mountain and this is what I found!
Overview - Machen Mountain Monster
Distance: 39.6 miles
Elevation: + 2755 / - 2760 ft
Duration: 07:15:39
I have actually been over this mountain before, but that was perhaps five years ago and I came from Gelligroes. Now I know that coming from that direction is much, much easier. This route is beautiful, but very hard. ▼ Jump to Summary
My ride started off innocently enough; the sky was cloudy but dry, the temperature was cool (9°c), and it was a lovely Autumn morning as I glided along NCN Route 47 on the Crumlin Arm of the M&B canal.
Four miles down the canal I dropped off and crossed the A467 just by the Rogerstone Welfare Grounds. I then followed a small footpath which passes behind the housing estate and through the woods to a footbridge which crosses over the Ebbw River.
It was exceptionally rainy most all summer, so it was surprising to have the leaves stick around long enough to show some colour and the river was looking pretty as a picture!
Once on the other side, I followed the foot path by a wide paddock to the lane heading toward Rhiwderin. Oddly too, I met two police officers on horseback riding down from the road. We stopped and chatted for a moment. They were very friendly and seemed pleased to have someone speak with them. I find it quite nice to see the police patrolling on horseback - especially out here in the country!
Fox Hill
Just before Rhiwderin I turned right and began the slow climb up to Fox Hill. This route is also part of the Sirhowy Country Park Walk. I've not found an official map of the route - only signs along the road in places.
It's a slow climb on a very narrow lane, but well worth the effort. The views from within the trees are lovely. I passed several groups of hikers making their way up the hill... all of them asked if I was heading to the top.
Despite there being few roads through here, I made a wrong turn and began heading downhill. (Important reason to always carry a paper map!) These sheep seemed mighty nervous as I stopped to check my directions.
As a crow flies, I'm no more than a mile from the nearest village, but looking out over the valley, it seems much further. This is a proper saddleback too. I've veiws across both sides of mountain. To my left is Machen and the Rhymney Valley (above). To my right is the Ebbw Valley (below).
Coed Mawr
I love my Garmin, but not every road in Wales is listed, especially logging roads. This one seems interesting AND it's on my Ordnance Survey map!
Here we go... Coed Mawr is listed on Google Maps as a "wooded area with hiking trails". I hadn't planned this part of my route, but the entrance was too enticing. Now the adventure goes up a notch.
After a steady climb over course gravel for about a mile, the road leveled off at a wide clearing. Large boulders had been placed at both ends to block four-wheel-drive vehicles. I had cycled just over 26 miles and it seemed the perfect time and place to take a break for lunch.
The amount of colour in the trees was surprising for this late in the season and the views were pretty good with almost 180° panoramas.
A few more walkers came through and asked how I got up here... When they heard where I was heading, they all said; "you can't get that bike up there". We'll see.
The path ahead wasn't too bad. I kinda like short sections of trail like this and I could see on the map that I was less than a mile from a paved road.
Then I was out of the woods and back on tarmac. The road was narrow and climbed slowly along a high ridge. Far off to my right looms the legendary hill of Twmbarlwm.
Ahead of me in the distance, Machen Mountain looked like nothing more than a slight rise and in actuallity, it's just a big hill at little more than 1,100 feet in elevation.
As I mentioned earlier, the ridge is a saddleback. I can see over the Rhymney Valley and the town of Machen to my left. Twmbarlwm looms over Ebbw Valley to my right. And I continued to climb...
I passed one more farm and the afternoon light seemed exceptional.
Mynydd Machen Common
Mynydd Machen Common is a popular local spot. I passed several hikers (as well as several cars) as I began climbing the last section to the top. I was a little tired, but excited. The skies began to brighten somewhat and the views speak for themselves.
I had been watching Twmbarlwm through the trees for most of the day, but as I came out into the clearing, it seemed so close and magnificent.
Wales has a problem with fly-tipping and it's a damn shame too. The county tries to clean it up regularly, but it's an unending battle. This pile of construction detritus seems to have been dumped recently.
There's no riding at this point... it's a "Bike & Hike" adventure now! Motorcycles are responsible for the deep ruts in the path. It's actually quite surprising that I haven't seen any today.

The heather is thick and lush like a blanket laying along the sides of the hill. I paused to catch my breath and look around. I guess I'm about 1/3 of the way up.
I would push my bike up for about 50 feet and stop to catch my breath, then repeat. There are no switchbacks... it's just straight up the hill. The incline is well over 20% and very rough!

You can see a fork in the path about halfway up and ahead of me. I veered to the right. It had less ruts, but more gravel. I don't know if it was the easier choice.
As the path narrowed it also became steeper. My cycling shoes were not at all suitable for the rocks and became a serious issue at times.
Pausing once again to catch my breath and looking around, then looking back... I am in awe. I am nearly to the top.
The last push was crazy steep (Check out the elevation profile...). It's just a tad over a 30% incline. My handlebars were level with my head as I used all my strength to get us both up to the top.
And then I was there. It took nearly an hour to hike/push my little El Camino up Machen Mountain.

And my ElCamino gets a well-deserved portrait by the trig point.
For the last 0.6 mile of my hike, I had an elevation gain of +368 feet (avg. 12%). At the trig point, Mynydd Machen is 362 meters above sea level (or 1,187.66 feet).
Looking south down the ridge toward Newport, the Bristol Channel is visible along the horizon (above). Whilst the Brecon Beacons are barely visible in the haze of the northern horizon (below).
As I leave the summit the path ahead looks much easier. The sun is getting low and I must make my way down the mountain now. It's time to be home.
That's a big "spoil tip! I wonder how old it is... when it was first started? There's no clue where the collery once stood. Another world lost to time.
It's getting late, but the view up Ebbw Valley captivates me. The "knob" in the image below is the southern tip of the ridge that divides Ebbw Valley from Sirhowy Valley. Just below me the two rivers join at Parc Waunfawr and continue their journey as one on their way down to the Severn.
Looking back (above) toward the spoil tip and looking ahead (below) toward Sirhowy Parc. I'm chasing daylight now!
There doesn't seem to be any logic behind this path... it changes from gravel to a rutted path and back to gravel again without reason.
However, seeing fences again means that I'm nearing a farm. I take this as a good sign now. I don't want to be caught up here in the dark.
Finding tarmac is a big relief and it feels strange to be under trees again. Now I just need to coast down the hill to Gelligroes. And yes! The road feels sooooooo smooth!
Is that lane enticing or what? Someone is building a house with a fabulous view overlooking the valley toward Wyllie (below).
It's tempting to just let her rip down the hill, but the views are incredible. I had to stop for a snap looking up Sirhowy Valley. Plus, my little El Camino deserved having her photo taken one more time.
And look who came over to see me! Hello cutey! Look at that face. (She must have heard me talking to myself... yes, I do that.) Now I'm talking to you, cutey. You understand me perfectly, don't you?
Seeya next time cutey!
Then I'm off again. I'm almost to the bottom at Sirhowy Park where I'll join NCN Route 47 for the last easy section out of the park to Springfield.
It's been a long day; a fabulous day. One last photo before I head back into civilisation.
Summary - Machen Mountain Monster
Staying close to home was my first priority, but seeing something new was my goal and this ride did not disappoint! Yes, it was a tough ride and walk, but well worth the effort. I have to admit too, that I was quite chuffed with myself by the time I reached the trig point.
The sun was in and out for most of day, the temperature held around 9°c., and traffic was non-existant.

I had a heck of day. It was a wonderful little adventure. I'm very lucky to have Sirhowy Parc and Mynydd Machen so close to home.

Thanks as always for stopping by.

Seeya down the road... Cheers! - cm
Relevant Links  
Report Card
Ride Name: Machen Monster
Start Date: Sat. Oct. 17, 2020
Starts in: Oakdale, Wales, GB
Departed: 10:32 am
Distance: 39.6 mi / 63.73 km
Elevation: + 2755 / - 2760 ft
Max Grade: 32.4%
Duration: 07:15:39
Move Time: 04:11:11
Stop Time: 03:04:28
Max. Speed: 30.3 mph
Avg. Speed: 9.5 mph
Weather: sun, clouds
Temp: 9°c / 48°f
The following NCN routes were used either in part or in whole.

Ads Inside Post