Introduction

Welcome to the Archive. Here you'll find all of my ride reports from the first eight years of cycling in Wales. The layouts used here are in the previous design which I'm currently updating, so be sure check back!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

SPECIAL EVENT 
Remembering 55 for 55


In 2016 I cycled over 3,000 miles to raise money and awareness for Parkinson's UK. This self-made event involved cycling 55 miles every day for 55 consecutive days.
Overview - Remembering 55 for 55
Daily Distance: 55.7 miles ea. day (x) 55 days = 3,063 miles in total
Daily Elevation: +2,545 ft / -2,548 ft (x) 55 days = +139,975 ft / -139,975 ft
Daily Duration: 5.5 hours on average (x) 55 days = 302.5 hours in total
I had just turned 55 and the number seemed rather special. I thought I should do something special over 55 days. And then it came to me; "why not cycle 55 miles each day?" If I could raise £5,500 over the course... it made a nice pattern; 55 year old man cycles 55 miles every day for 55 consecutive days to raise £5,500. Simple enough.

Here's my blog post from February 2016: 55 for 55 Cycling Challenge

The ride has three distinct parts, each of which is indicated by colour on the map below. You may jump to a section by selecting the specific name.
I first created a fairly easy route that I felt comfortable riding. I then cycled that same route everyday and during all weather conditions. There were a few days when I had to make a slight detour due to road construction, but this only extended my mileage. I never cycled less than 55.7 miles each day. ▼ Jump to Summary
Parkinson's UK
So that was the how I did it. Now you may be wondering why I did it. And it's quite simple really... two of my friends in our cycling group; The Kingfishers, have Parkinson's and because they have given so much to me personally through cycling and friendship - I wanted to give something back.

This was my way of saying thank you.
I trained extensively for two solid months prior to the start. In January I cycled 520 miles over 14 days (avg. 37 miles per ride) through all weather conditions, but most significantly, I rode nine consecutive days.

I envisioned that the mileage wouldn't be the hardest part of the ride - it would be the non-stop days in the saddle. It wouldn't be the hills that got to me and even though the weather would be difficult... the hardest part would be climbing back on the bike, day after day, without fail, to do it all over again. Time would be my biggest challenge.
And so I continued training. In February I cycled 936 miles over 16 days (avg. 58 miles per ride) with six rides over 65 miles each and I cycled four consecutive days - twice. I was building my endurance, but I knew that the real test of strength would come from actually making the rides.
REMEMBERING 55 for 55
StageOakdale to Usk
Distance: 20.9 miles
Elevation: +1,120 ft / -1,820 ft
On 01 March 2016 I began. It rained all day and all the way. I was soaked to the core within an hour after I started. My buddy Dean joined me for the first stage of the ride to Usk, which added a great deal of excitement to the start and injected my morale with a much needed boost. ▲ Back to Overview
On the second day; it snowed. And I was all on my own. This was when I realised just what I was in for.
I hoped this would be the worst. I told myself that it could only get better as Spring approached; the weather would get warmer and the skies should brighten. (A mantra I played over and over again in my head for the first six weeks!)
For the first few days I was rewarded with rain, snow, gale-force winds, fallen trees, and the most dangerous - ice. I thought of Lewis & CLark traveling across the vast Northwest of America and said to myself that my little adventure is nothing!
I thought of the many explorers walking across hundreds of miles of arctic tundra to reach their man-made goals. And I thought of my ride; "this is nothing!"
SIDEBAR OF NOTE
55 for 55 Route
I explored, studied online maps and after several months; I fixed upon a route which I thought would be the easiest to cycle repeatedly. I would travel clockwise making the longest and hardest part on the first stage. The second stage would be the easiest as I followed the River Usk, and the last stage home would be slightly longer, but mostly on traffic-free cycle paths.

I had two pre-defined check points at cafes along the route; one in Usk and the second in Newport. I would stop at each one everyday where I would check-in with the cafe owners to confirm my ride. They each had calendars and collection boxes on the counter(s) where folks could see my progress and make donations. (I also had two additional rest stops along the route with public toilets.)

Stage One: Oakdale to Usk - 20.9 miles.
Starting from the Boy Scout hut near the village sports fields in Oakdale, I would first cycle to Pontypool where I would then cycle on the canal path a short distance to New Inn. From there, I would snake along the back roads past Llandegfedd Reservoir and Glascoed to the town of Usk. My first checkpoint was the Green Flute Cafe in the Rural Life Museum.

 
And then, despite the mornings starting off rather harsh, within an hour or so, the clouds would clear and often by the time I reached the M&B Canal, the morning would have changed significantly.
Riding along the canal, warming up, I would think to myself; "This is fabulous. You are a lucky boy indeed!"
When choosing my route, I wanted to avoid any major roads, where possible. I wanted quiet, sleepy lanes where my mind could drift away from the worry of traffic.
However, I will add that my route was not the most direct nor the easiest... climbing over and around Llandegfedd Reservoir is certainly scenic though.
It's easy to understand the attraction of the village of Usk once you cycle through the area. It is exceptionally lovely. The traffic can be somehwat busy, but because the streets are narrow, it's generally slow going for everyone.
SIDEBAR OF NOTE
The Green Flute
My first stop each day was at the Green Flute Cafe. The charming spot was located in the front of the Rural Life Museum in Usk which seemed perfectly suited for the Welsh countryside through which I was cycling.
On Thursdays I would take my trailer along with flyers, t-shirts, and my collection box. It always got the attention of folks along the way. People would honk their car horns and wave... it was a great little addition. Plus, it helped break the monotony of just riding my bike.
Christine was the owner/operator of the cafe and was an absolute doll. She and all the other girls who worked with her made sure to keep my coffee cup full as well as my belly - everyday for nearly two months. I had a donation box on the counter and collected nearly £500 from this one location!

 
Usk deserves more attention than I'm giving it here. As a town, it has played a significant role in my cycling history. I've got a couple of small galeries you can check out if you're interested in seeing more: Usk and Usk Castle.
But this write up isn't about places... it's about the ride and being on the road and what I saw over 55 days.
REMEMBERING 55 for 55
StageUsk to Newport
Distance: 15.7 miles
Elevation: +722 ft / -749 ft
Leaving out of Usk everything changes. The valley is wide and flat as the road follows the river. There are a couple of small, short bumps along the way, but for the most part it is just an easy glide all the way into Newport - nearly 16 miles of fantastic cycling through the lovely Welsh countryside. ▲ Back to Overview
This was where the meditation began. The first stage was a series of short sections with many turns and climbs providing a variety of scenes; this stage of the ride was all about long sweeping roads with wide open vistas.
SIDEBAR OF NOTE
55 for 55 Ride Schedule
Along with my fixed route, I had a daily schedule; I left at roughly 9:00 am each morning after the rush hour with the goal to complete the ride before the 4:00 pm afternoon rush hour.

Generally, I would reach Usk by 11:00 am where I would take a 30 minute coffee and snack break a the the Green Flute Cafe (see sidebar above...), I would then begin my second stage to Newport.

My second stop was in Newport just by the Transporter Bridge at Fanny's Reststop Cafe. I would usually arrive here by 1:30 pm, stopping again for 30 mins. before heading off at 2:00 pm. This would leave me 2 hours to relax and easily cycle the last 20 miles home.

Stage Two: Usk to Newport - 15.7 miles.
The route from Usk to Newport was the shortest of the three stages and the easiest. However, I often took much longer because I was prone to stopping for photographs and the occasional wander.

 
I had thought to select a site to photograph each day, but I think that motif is rather obvious. I just went with looking at scenes each day. Finding what caught my eye at the moment. I wanted to portray the feel of my ride.
My approach was about both the big picture and the details. It's about the weather and the change and looking at the same things day in and day out and really seeing.
On some days, everything would seem grey and wet and dull. I tried to capture that. On some days, everything looked glorious. I wanted to show how significant the weather and the landscape shaped my experience.
Because I rode each day on a scedule, I saw the same areas at closely the same time. I grew to look for certain things at certain places and too, certain things seemed to look for me as well.

The changing of the seasons, notably; the warming weather and changing light - all combined to bring about a slow awaking that I could see and feel over the passing days. Of course, the plants and animals were fully aware of this common event, but to be outside everyday, with nature as it transforms from winter into spring was something I had not experienced before. It was magical to me.
Over time something began to happen. I developed a rhythm with the landscape. I knew what was around every turn, over each hill... and that lead to a sort of release from thinking about pedaling the bike. I would anticipate about what lay ahead... imagining the light and the conditions and how it might appear.
Sometimes I would come into an area and the change would be so significant that it would shock me as if I had not seen it before. On these occasions I would stop, get off my bike and wander.
On these occasions I would forget about my routine, my schedule became irrelevant. I was just in this world alone and as odd as it seems; I felt that the world belonged to me. These moments, these landscapes... were mine alone.
These scenes don't present the drama of mountian peaks or brilliant sunsets by the ocean... they are quiet and soft. They are humble like the sheep standing in the fields. They are peaceful.

Of course, it's been five years since I rode this event and I cannot deny my romantic recollections. On some days I tried to make my photogrpahs objective - to simply document the route, but in all fairness, Wales is so damn pretty and my rides were so intense that over the course of 55 days the objective and the subjective became blurred and I just gave in to her beauty.
Coming into Caerleon was my wake-up call. I had traveled 35 miles; "cleared the hump" and despite having 20 more miles ahead (and uphill), it was time to come back from dreamland. I generally felt relaxed at this point. I would cycle into Newport and take a break before heading off for the final stage.
REMEMBERING 55 for 55
PartNewport to Oakdale
Distance: 21 miles
Elevation: +1,378 ft / -638 ft
The change from cycling along quiet country lanes to being on a path shared with pedestrians, and dogs, and other cyclists could be somewhat jarring. Often school was just getting out, I could hear children laughing and playing in the distance. The roads would start to get somewhat busy.

But late in the afternoon along the boardwalk and pier, for one last hoorah, it could also be quite sereen. ▲ Back to Overview
The cycle and walking paths get complicated as you move further into Newport and much like entering many towns, it can be a little confusing to keep your bearings. If you're new to the area, there are signs everywhere!
SIDEBAR OF NOTE
Fanny's Rest Stop Cafe
My second formal stop of the day was at Fannys Rest Stop. There were times when I would be tired and cold and soaked to the bone when I reached Newport. This was the perfect diner to re-fuel and warm up.
It's hard to emphasize enough how much I appreciated the good 'ole home-cookin' this charming diner served.
Plus Jo, was such a sweetheart... she really took care of this ole dog when I came in looking pretty rough and ragged. Again, I had a collection box here which raised over £300.

 
The town has done a remarkable job getting pedestrians and cyclists through, around, and over the many busy roads that converge near the town center and riverfront. It makes for exceptional cycling too that you can travel completely across town on traffic-free routes.
As you've probably noticed, I've posted the photos in this report to follow the route as I cycled it. The landscape and architecture varies quite dramatically. Yet, it still surprises me to see so much contrast in such a small place.
Along the river front in Newport, the Usk takes on a more urban and industrial feel. Of note: the River Usk is highly affected by the tides of the Bristol Channel - which are the second highest in the world. The River Usk itself will rise and fall nearly forty feet.
Look how wide and powerful the river seems here. Remember how sleepy and quiet she looked meandering through the countryside just a few moments ago?
The photo above and the one below were taken on the same day at the same time and even the same place - just facing opposite directions. This was my last check-in point and food stop at Fanny's Rest Stop Cafe by the Transporter Bridge.
After snaking around the busy Newport Docks, the route is on again/off again roads and shared-use pavements. The scenery is mostly uninteresting and generally my head would be hanging down a bit as I slowly pedaled though the villages of Bassaleg and Rogerstone making my way to the Monmouth & Brecon Canal.
SIDEBAR OF NOTE
55 for 55 Stage Conditions
The conditions of my ride varied over the three stages which kept the route interesting. In some sections I had to stay focused as I watched for traffic, whilst in others I could just relax and let the road flow beneath my wheels.

The first stage was the hardest because it involved more climbing and turning as I snaked across the Ebbw and Usk Valleys. And because it was usually early in the morning, the weather conditions were the most severe with either colder temperatures or rain or snow or all of it!

The second stage was the easiest with wide open rolling vistas and a ride that more or less followed along the River Usk. It was usually around noon when I would set out again, so the temperatures were warmer, often the rain or snow had stopped and I could ride easily down the valley.

The last stage was generally the least interesting as I made my way through afternoon traffic around Newport docks. I then slogged through several non-descript housing estates before reaching the Monmouth & Brecon Canal.

Stage Three: Newport to Oakdale - 21 miles.
Had the third stage not been on mostly traffic-free cycle paths, it would have been brutal. The M&B Canal and Sirhowy Parc were my oasis' at the end of the day. Those last 10 miles cycling along the flat of the canal and then under the protection of the trees late in the afternoon proved to be a much needed respite from the first 45 miles and five hours of traveling.

 
It was often hard to photograph the last section of the ride. To be honest, I was generally so tired that I couldn't be bothered. I just wanted to get home and into bed.
Over time, I did take a few shots of Crosskeys, the canal, and Sirhowy Parc, but I didn't get many. Just like the day, I was fading fast.

Summary - 55 for 55
I've thought a lot about this event since I finished it in 2016 and I can honestly say that I don't think there is any real way to summerize the journey. I could easily overpraise my efforts and simplify my experience with lavish adjectives, but the simple fact is that it became much more than I had ever envisioned.

I didn't reach my fundraising goal of £5,500, which was very disappointing. My final tally was just over £3,300. My attempts at publicity of the event were pretty poor. I just don't do that kinda thing very well and I think people had a hard time understanding what I was actually doing.
However, for me personally; it was a massive event - a life changing event. I had never followed a regime of this caliber and I found it exillerating. I loved getting up everyday and spending all day outside - regardless of the weather. I felt so connected to nature. I felt very much alive. It was powerful and left a lasting impression on me. I yearn for those feelings again.
Group Event
One last and very important note is to recognise the people who assisted me, for I did not do this alone. Without the enormous support and generous financial donations of these wonderful people, my efforts would have been little more that self-indilgent folly. So if you've gotten this far, take a look at a few photos of the folks who rode with me, bought me coffee and cakes, and generally gave me more encouragement than I would have ever imagined. I am forever in their debt and gratitude.
View the Gallery: 55 for 55 - The People

55 for 55 Grand Totals:

Date: March 01 - April 24th, 2016
Distance: 3,063 miles
Elevation Gain: +139,975 ft / -139,975 ft
Duration: 302.5 hours over 55 days


Thanks for taking the time to read through my little diatribe. Seeya down the road!

Cheers! - cm

Ads Inside Post