Introduction

Welcome to the Archive. Here you'll find all of my ride reports from the first eight years of cycling in Wales. The layouts used here are in the previous design which I'm currently updating, so be sure check back!

Sunday, June 5, 2016

SOLITAIRE 
Neath Valley & Rhigos Mountain

I had only a map and a rough idea of where I wanted to go. Where I actually ended up going and what I saw is what made this ride a classic cycling adventure.
Most all of this route was new to me. Prior to leaving, I roughly mapped out my destination online and studied several Ordnance Survey maps (paper ones!) to get an idea of my intended route.

However; like all big adventures, I got turned around, lost several times, and bumbled around in places I will - in all probably, never see again. So of course, the trip took much longer than I had planned. It was fantastic.

Overview - Neath Valley & Rhigos Mountain
Distance: Distance: 101.3 miles
Elevation:+ 7031 / - 7030 ft
Duration: 15:27:01
I started my ride by first cycling along NCN 47 over to Abercynon. From there I followed NCN 478 north to Hirwain where I then dropped down to the town of Glyneath and the Neath & Tennant Canal.

I then followed the canal southwest to the village of Tonna. Here I joined NCN 47 again and made my way back home.▼ Jump to Summary
Oakdale to Hirwain
Everything went according to plan until I got to Hirwain. I had cycled both NCN 47 and NCN 478 several times so I recognised the beginning of the ride without much concern.

However; my first mistake came just after I had cycled 23 miles as I was leaving Hirwain. Without looking at my map for reference, I became excited when I saw a sign pointing for the "Cynon Trail" and presumed that was the way I wanted to go. And as lovely as the route is, it is not the way I needed to go. In fact, it went north and it took me about 30 minutes and three miles to realise my mistake. (see; the odd "spur" pointing north in the map above...)

Cynon Trail ends abruptly at Penderyn where it plops onto the A4059. As it turned out, the road was quite busy with cyclists on a sportive... so again without thinking much, I joined in! Unfortunately again, I was still heading north. So after about a mile I realised I wasn't heading down the valley and I stopped to check my map.
Glyneath to Tonna
Mortified, I turned around and headed back down the A4059 to Hirwain. Fortunately for me this time, it wasn't but about 2 miles to Glyneath and the Neath & Canal. As an added bonus, it was ALL downhill.
And what a change! Thirty minutes earlier I had been on a high ridge heading north toward the Brecon Beacons. Now, I was deep in the valley and following a lovely secluded cycle track. So naturally, I began taking photos!
It was stunning. I had the cycle path completely to myself.

Summary - Neath Valley & Rhigos Mountain
This was an exhausting ride. The pull up the Rhigos was brutal. But overall, it was an amazing adventure. I couldn't have asked for better weather and I had a long day of light. Next time I'll know better of what I'm getting into and I'll be back!

Thanks as always for stopping by.

Cheers! - cm
Report Card
Ride Name: Neath & Rhigos
Start Date: Sun. Jun. 06, 2016
Starts in: Oakdale, Wales, GB
Departed: 8:26 AM
Distance: 101.3 mi / 163.0 km
Elevation: + 7031 / - 7030 ft
Max Grade: 13.3%
Duration: 15:27:01
Move Time: 10:19:14
Stop Time: 05:07:47
Max. Speed: 35.6 mph
Avg. Speed: 9.8 mph
Weather: sun!
Temp: 22°c / 72°f

Ads Inside Post