Introduction

Welcome to the Archive. Here you'll find all of my ride reports from the first eight years of cycling in Wales. The layouts used here are in the previous design which I'm currently updating, so be sure check back!

Thursday, March 26, 2020

SOLITAIRE 
Goytre & Bettws Newydd Loop


Sometimes modest plans reward the most. This loop through the Usk Valley was a perfect reminder of the simple beauty found in Wales.
Time for lunch in Bettws Newydd
I've been slowly working my way up to longer rides and I chose this route because it's relatively easy and it's gorgeous! There's a nice long warm up along the M&B Canal followed by a rolling climb up through Betwws Newydd. Then the last bit from Usk to Newport and home, is again very easy.
Overview - Goytre & Bettws Newydd Loop
Distance: 76.0 miles
Elevation: + 3828 / - 3834 ft
Duration: 09:22:15
This route includes a section of the Monmouth & Brecon Canal, as well as some of the very best of the Usk Valley along NCN Routes 49 and 42. ▼ Jump to Summary
Oakdale to Goytre
Getting out of the village and over to Pontypool involves climbing up the hill behind our house over into Ebbw Valley. I then immediately climb up the opposite side of the valley into Swffryd and Hafodyrynys.

Often, in the early mornings the views can be clouded over with fog or mist, but I started a little later today. It's a lovely morning, so it's a nice treat to stop and look at where I'll be heading. (I'm looking due east. That's Swffryd in the distance.)
I then get on the old Crumlin Road for a very comfortable and leisurely ride to Pontypool and the Pontymoile Boat Basin. From Oakdale to Pontymoile Boat Basin is spot on 13 miles.
The Monmouth & Brecon Canal never fails to please. I say to myself that there's no need to stop for photographs because I have so many, but I still do. It's roughly 5 miles along the canal (NCN Route 49) to where I exit at bridge #71(?) outside Goytre.
Goytre to Bettws Newydd
Leaving the quiet ramble along the canal, the ride down through Goytre is fast and fabulous! It's nearly 2 miles downhill to join the B4598 just above Chain Bridge.
The B4598 can be somewhat busy, but I'm only on it for a short while as I turn right just after crossing the Usk river and head northwest toward Clytha.
This part of the valley is broad and flat providing wide vistas. Far in the distance ahead I can see the Blorenge and then as I look to my right the Skirrid appears from behind the trees.
Before reaching Clytha, I turn north toward Llanarth. However, just before reaching Llanarth, I turn again so that I can cycle through the village of Great Oak. This short loop brings me around to Clytha from the opposite direction and the junction of NCN Route 42. It's a lovely little five mile detour well worth the effort. (I should have shot some photos though!)

Bettws Newydd to Newport
I join NCN Route 42 at the Clytha Estate where the road starts on a slow climb below a folly high on the the hill to my left. This section has several climbs, but the road is quiet and you can relax and just take your time. Once you reach Bettws Newydd, there is a great little pub; The Black Bear Inn, where you can stop for a bite to eat or a pint to reward yourself for you efforts!

NOTEWORTHY
Clytha Castle
Perched amoungst a grove of chestnut trees high on Clytha Hill sits Clytha Castle. No, it's not really a castle, but a charming 18th century "folly" designed by the architect John Davenport and built by William Jones in 1790. The folly istelf is not visible from the road below, but well worth the short climb up through the woods.

 








The folly makes up part of the larger Clytha Estate which is well worth stopping for a picnic or spending an afternoon just exploring. The views across the valley toward Abergavenny are wonderful.

☞ Read more: Clytha Castle and Clytha Estate.


Once out of Bettws Newydd, the route rolls down hill for nearly 5 miles into Usk. It too is another charming town - well worth stopping for a break if you ride on through Bettw Newydd. NCN Routes 42 and 423 cross in Usk and you're bound to see other cyclists, for it's often said that all roads lead to Usk!

We've had a tremendous amount of rain this year and despite that it's been sunny for the past few days, the River Usk is still very high. Normally, the river is well below the road and hard to see through the trees - but not today!
Heading out of Usk the valley widens again as NCN 42 heads southeast toward Chepstow. However after a couple of miles, I veer to the right just above Llanrisant and make my way down Bullmore Road toward Caerleon. The road continues to closely follow the River Usk all the way to Newport. This section rolls along quite easily and offers some particularly wonderful views.
Caerleon is yet another charming village. Across the river is the Hanbury Arms - a 16th century inn and pub well worth stopping. (It's one of my favorites!) There's actually quite a bit to see in this little village for it was once the site of the largest Roman military fort in the UK.
This last photo I shot leaving Newport. You can see from the debris washed along the meadow how high the River Usk was running earlier. I was stunned to see this.
Sirhowy Parc and home...
I was pretty well exhausted by the time I left Newport. Snaking back through Bassaleg and Rogerstone, then Risca and Crosskeys - has become rote. I have no memory nor idea of what I was thinking.
The sun was starting to set by the time I got to Sirhowy Parc and as I looked up I saw what was to be the last image of the day. Sometimes it just happens this way and it feels both natural and rewarding.
Summary - Goytre & Bettws Newydd Loop
With a total distance of 76 miles and a duration at nearly 9 1/2 hours, this was my longest ride of the year up to this point.

It had been a beautiful day with very little traffic to contend with. It was a little challenging in places, but for the most part it was a relaxing day in the saddle.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in the UK over the next few months as the Corona virus moves across the world. I wonder how this will effect my cycling? We shall see.

Thanks as always for stopping by.

Cheers! - cm
Relevant Links  
Report Card
Ride Name: Goytre & Bettws...
Start Date: Sat. Mar. 26, 2020
Starts in: Oakdale, Wales, GB
Departed: 10:00 AM
Distance: 76.0 mi / 122.31 km
Elevation: + 3828 / - 3834
Max Grade: 9.2%
Duration: 09:22:15
Move Time: 07:02:31
Stop Time: 02:19:44
Max. Speed: 36.3 mph
Avg. Speed: 10.8 mph
Weather: sun!
Temp: 15°c / 59°f

Ads Inside Post