Introduction

Welcome to the Archive. Here you'll find all of my ride reports from the first eight years of cycling in Wales. The layouts used here are in the previous design which I'm currently updating, so be sure check back!

Monday, March 30, 2020

ADVENTURE RIDE 
Rhymney & Fochriw Loop


It was the nicest day we've had this year and despite the current cultural conditions, I took a very isolated journey across the tops of two ridges near our home.
Looking out over Rhymney Meadows.
We've very fortunate here in South East Wales for there are some wonderful rides along the ridges that seperate the many valleys. I chose two of my favourites which are very close to home and offer great views of the surrounding valleys.
Overview - Rhymney & Fochriw Loop
Distance: 52.2 miles
Elevation: + 3713 / - 3715 ft
Duration: 06:59:10
The routes themselves pass through some common land as well as several large private farms, but in general, they are just a couple of wide and open areas without any specific delineation - so I've taken the liberty of naming them myself; Rhymney Meadows and Fochriw Highlands. ▼ Jump to Summary
Oakdale to Bedwelty
The route begins easily enough as it winds it's way around Blackwood and Pontlanfraith before heading north at the start of the first big climb. Turning just before Pengam, the road heads up immediatley following first a busy street, then narrowing to smaller lanes that pass through busy little neighbourhoods for six miles as you continuously clmb over a thousand feet.
I didn't bother to photograph the first part because I generally don't find the areas very interesting, but also I'm quite focused to reach the top, so to speak. Perhaps another day when I've more patience, I will spend the time to properly portray these little places. Bedwelty Church is certainly worth a few snaps!
Rhymney Meadows
Once you climb out of the sleepy little village of Bedwelty, the vista just explodes before you. The views are astounding. The ridge is quite narrow and completely exposed so that you can see down into the valleys on both your left and right.
The road itself is nearly at the top of the ridge and it's completely open. For all practical purposes, there are no trees. In fact, there is hardly anything except for stone walls, some sheep, and the wind. It is magnificent.
It would be easy to race through here - but I stop and look. I take a photograph. This is what cycling is all about for me.

Another cyclist approaches me from the opposite direction. He nods with a grim look on his face that asks; "what the hell are you doing?"... and continues on without a word. It is desolate and raw.
The hillside and valley unfurls before me completely exposed. The few houses are specs on the landscape.

And then in just under four miles, (too soon!) the road turns south, back toward civilisation, snaking its way into the village high streets of Rhymney and Pontlottyn. With a long sweeping decent on the opposite valley hillside, it's five fast miles overlooking New Tredegar to the village of Bargoed.
Rhymney to Bargoed
Again there was much I passed without proper recognition. There is a rush to your system as you come down off the mountain top and I cannot stop myself from racing, pedaling hard downhill, flying past the houses flat against the hillside, the wind under my saddle, light as a bird, the roar of my tyres and the quick turn of a head from a woman hanging her wash, a nod, a smile, and I'm gone.

Breathless and grinning, I entered Bargoed with tears at the corners of my eyes... and it's the start of my second big climb as I quickly turned north again.
Fochriw Highlands
My route now heads into the woods on a proper cycle path; NCN Route 469 runs from Bargoed to the "end of the world" at Fochriw. This quiet path winds up through Parc Cwm Darren and deserves more attention, but that will have to wait for another day.

First though, I stop in Fochriw for a short lunch by the village square. I've cycled nearly 30 miles at this point. Time to refuel and prepare for the second half of my ride.
It's a short hard climb leaving town, but then... here it is. What it's all about for me.
Looking back, Focriw isn't but about a mile and a half away. It just feels further.
I was asked once; "why don't you have any people in your photographs? They would be much more interesting if you had a cyclist in there somewhere. You haven't any subject matter."

This is what I photograph, because this is what I see.
I find this landscape glorious. As a crow flys, I'm just 10 miles northwest from our home. Who would ever guess that you can get away from it all so quickly?
It's time to take it slow again. Stop. Take some photographs. Talk to the ponies.
Trelewis to Oakdale
Back on the road again, I'm starting to chase daylight as I reach the turn-off down into the next valley. It's a fast descent if I want, but I try to go slowly... I meet a few walkers. We chat about how nice the day is despite the world's health.
This is my kind of social distancing. But then too, I don't need a pandemic to drive me out to these places. This is where I prefer to be regardless.
I may have to wait awhile, but the hillsides are here. I will be back.
Summary - Rhymney & Fochriw Loop
It was great to get ride out across these two ridges on the same day. The weather was ideal and traffic was pretty much non-existant. I saw a few folks walking and we all practised proper social distancing (which feels weird at first... but makes so much sense!)

I've got a new camera, so it was especially fun to fiddle with it a bit. I had plenty of time to stop and shoot as much as I wanted... and I love that. Hopefully, you can see some improvement over those I typically shoot with my mobile phone.

But now, after just a few rides, things have all changed and I'll just have to stay close to home for the foreseeable future. Of course, there's lots to be done on the blog...

Thanks as always for stopping by.

Cheers! - cm
Relevant Links  
Report Card
Ride Name: Rhymney & Fochriw
Start Date: Mon. Mar. 30, 2020
Starts in: Oakdale, Wales, GB
Departed: 11:02 AM
Distance: 52.2 mi / 84.01 km
Elevation: + 3713 / - 3715 ft
Max Grade: 9.5%
Duration: 06:59:10
Move Time: 05:20:40
Stop Time: 01:38:30
Max. Speed: 32.1 mph
Avg. Speed: 9.8 mph
Weather: sun!
Temp: 16°c / 61°f

Ads Inside Post