Introduction

Welcome to the Archive. Here you'll find all of my ride reports from the first eight years of cycling in Wales. The layouts used here are in the previous design which I'm currently updating, so be sure check back!

Sunday, October 21, 2018

GROUP EVENT 
Caradoc's Bridge & Valley Ride


Last Fall I joined a group of friends on a lovely Saturday morning for a great little ride over Bedlinog Commons and Parc Cwm Darren.

 
The hidden falls at Parc Cwm Darren.


 
In actuality, this ride should be divided into two parts; the first being with the group of guys heading over Bedlinog Commons and the second part taking off on my own down through Bedwas, Draethen, and home via Sirhowy Parc. Looking at the map below, you can make out the two parts as they are reflected in a figure eight.
Overview - Caradoc's Bridge & Valley Ride
Total Distance: 63.3 miles
Total Elevation: + 4126 / - 4123 ft
Moving Time: 05:41:03
Part One
I don't recall everyone's name (sorry!), with the exception of Dai Parry (second from right). They were all very friendly and shared interesting bits of history as well as pointing out several stone markers I had not previously noticed.

The climb up to the commons is quite steep coming up from Bedlinog. (I generally choose to climb up from Fochriw, btw.) Regardless, once on top it's quite spectacular. We couldn't have asked for a better day. The temperature was mild, without a cloud in the sky.

Photography is very difficult when riding in a group. When I stop, I get left behind. As you can see, I was generally at the back racing to catch up! Also of note; at 58 years of age, I am the youngest in the group. The next youngest cyclist is 68 (hi-viz jacket with rear pannier); the two guys in the middle are in their mid-seventies, and the fella at the very front in the blue jacket is eighty-two! Pretty crazy really.

These fellas have been cycling in this part of Wales all their lives, so it's nothing new. But for me, I just gotta stop sometimes. I find it so lovely.

However, we did stop for a few minutes to walk up from the main car park to visit the hidden falls. Again, I hadn't seen this before and they waited patiently as I wandered about taking pictures. Thanks fellas, this was really cool!

Heading down the cycle path from Parc Cwm Darren toward Bargoed (NCN Route 469) we stopped again so that they could show me this marker. It's pretty interesting because the Romans and Silurians were very active in this area. Also of note; I wonder if Caradoc had contact with the Roman, Tegernacus? His marker is up on the hill above us. (See: Carreg Tegernacus)

Part Two
I left the fellas just after Pengam and turned south along Pandy Road heading toward Caerphilly. I joined NCN Route 4 at Bedwas heading across to Machen, Draethen, Michaleston, and further on to Bassaleg. NCN Route 4 is just a short section of the Celtic Trail which runs across Wales and ultimately across the whole of the UK.

 MINI MODULE 
Machen, Michaelston, & Bassaleg
Leaving Bedwas, the cycle path follows a re-purposed rail line to Machen. The route is incredibly quiet with hardly anyone about and sits high above the main road.

 
It looks like old train signals, but no... it's actually a bit of sculpture.


Down and under, snaking slowly, take your time - it's narrow with a 12% drop...


After dropping off the cycle path at Machen, I cross the main road where once again I'm on lovely quiet lanes winding through the countryside.

 
You can actually hear a car coming down the road long before you see one...


The valley is wide and open...


This section of the Celtic Trail rolls past farms and horse paddocks and exceptionally large homes of the well-to-do.

 
Late hay glows in the afternoon sun...


One last hill to climb...


Leaving Michealston and looking toward Bassaleg...


Note: The images in this mini-module were pulled from a previous post. If you'd like to see more about the Rhymney Valley, check out; Rhymney Meadows & Michaelston.

After Bassaleg, I snake through several uninteresting housing estates at Rogerstone, climbing along a busy roadway to 14 Locks where I escape onto the canal path.

It's getting late in the afternoon now and I'm feeling it. Thankfully the next seven miles along the canal are flat and relaxing. I can stop as often I like, which I do.

At Crosskeys, I drop off the canal path following NCN Route 4 through Waunfaur Park and after a very short hop on the road; I enter Sirhowy Country Park. From here I have roughly 10 easy miles to reach home.

 MINI MODULE 
Sirhowy Valley Country Park
This park is a hidden jewel running along the western side of the Sirhowy River between Crosskeys and Gelligroes.

 
Heading down the service road toward the inner car park...


A repurposed dram-way provides four miles of uninterrupted solitude. There are benches, picnic tables, scenic overlooks, loads of interesting places to explore, and it's perfect for all ages.

 
Entering the traffic-free route... which happens to be NCN Route 47 again!


Looking east across the valley toward the village of Wattsville...


The path is smooth and wide with hardly any notice of the slight incline.


This park is a hidden jewel running along the western side of the Sirhowy River between Crosskeys and Gelligroes.

 
Looking down over the namesake waterway...


The park is popular and well-maintained. Trees are trimmed and brush is kept well away from the path.


Near the top of the park and looking back down the valley toward Crosskeys...


Note: The images in this mini-module were pulled from a previous post. If you'd like to see more about the Sirhowy Valley, check out my ride; Dafodils & Disasters.

Report Card
Ride Name: Caradoc's Bridge
Start Date: Sat. Oct. 21, 2018
Starts in: Oakdale, Wales, GB
Departed: 10:47 AM
Distance: 63.3 mi / 101.9 km
Elevation: + 4126 / - 4123 ft
Max Grade: 12.8%
Duration: 08:42:56
Move Time: 05:41:03
Stop Time: 03:01:53
Max. Speed: 37.1 mph
Avg. Speed: 11.1 mph
Weather: sun!
Temp: 16°c / 61°f
Summary
Well, it wasn't the most interesting rides, but it did have some moments. I'll certainly be going back to Caradoc's Bridge when I can spend more time there. Plus, I should go back and properly photograph the stone markers up on Bedlinog Commons.

Overall, I didn't shoot as many photos as I had planned, but for the sake of documentation, I've introduced a couple of "mini-modules" in this report to fill in the blanks. It's an idea I've had in the back of my head for a while now and at least this report gives me the opportunity to try it out.

I've got to get on to the next write-up now! I hope you enjoyed this report. Thanks for stopping by...

Cheers! - cm


Back to top

Ads Inside Post