Introduction

Welcome to the Archive. Here you'll find all of my ride reports from the first eight years of cycling in Wales. The layouts used here are in the previous design which I'm currently updating, so be sure check back!

Sunday, August 5, 2018

SOLITAIRE 
Forest of Dean Epic


This massive ride is vastly under-represented by my photography. However, I'm thinking this was just a scouting trip and I'll return for a complete photo journal.

 
Crossing over the Wye River at Kerne Bridge toward Goodrich...


 
At 131 miles traveled with nearly 15 hours on the road, this ride was nothing short of epic. The weather was spectacular, the scenery was wonderful, and the only thing missing was my effort to properly photograph the day.
Overview - Forest of Dean Epic
Distance: 131.6 miles
Elevation: + 5519 / - 5519 ft
Duration: 14:14:06
I started off just past seven in the morning for an easy ride down to Newport. It was lovely morning and after 21 miles, I stopped by the War Memorial site to regroup and have a snack. It's a great spot overlooking the Usk River and facing the Transporter Bridge. I've been stopping here for years now and it's almost become a habit.

Then I was off along the Gwent Levels through Redwick, Caldicot and to Crick for my second stop. There's a long steady hill heading up to Shirenewton so after an additional 20 miles (41 miles total), I took another short break.

The climb to Shirenewton is a slow and steady ascent for just under three miles, but it feels much longer. This has become my "go to" route heading east from Newport to Chepstow. (See: Chepstow to Caldicot Gallery.)

The ride to Chepstow is nothing short of glorious. It is mostly a fabulous fast downhill winding along the southern edge of Wentwood Forest. Smile generating fast and fun.

Unfortunately my attention to photography dropped off the radar as I struggled with OS maps, GPS gadgets, and generally just making my way through Chepstow.

Leaving Chepstow on the A48 was new for me and to be honest, somewhat daunting. Traffic was surprisingly heavy and fast for a Sunday, but the road was wide and I saw quite a few other cyclists along the nine miles to Lydney.

All of the paths are unpaved, but easily ridable. This was a rougher section...

From Lydney I turned north on the B4234 which follows the Lyd River. Traffic calmed significantly as the road narrowed. Three miles up the road at Whitecroft the scenery changed too as I entered The Forest of Dean.

I entered the cycle path at Parkend and took a break having traveled 60 miles. The path was surprisingly easy to spot for there were loads of cyclists about. Families, mountain bikers, the whole gambit - were out for a Sunday afternoon ride. Lots of waving, big smiles and enthusiastic hellos abounded.

I took a short-cut which was a little rougher...

And yes, this is where I failed miserably to properly photograph the route. But to be fair, I was enjoying the ride so much that I guess I just forgot about photography.

I met loads of families curious about my trip. (I guess my setup seemed unusual?) And there are so many paths to explore in and about the forest... I just got super-involved.

Each sleeper has a different carving representing past local industries...

There are lakes and curious ponds amongst the thick woods and even a sculpture trail. I did try to shoot some pictures here, but most all of them are completely out of focus and underexposed. Urgh... reason again to return.

Once I got home and did a bit of research, I found that there are many, many cycle paths through the Forest of Dean. I rode the "Family Cycle Route", but it connects to another called the "Mineral Loop" making a twelve-mile ride. (See: Forest of Dean Cycle Path - Full Loop)

Back on the road I cycled west along the High Street to Upper Lydbrook. Then turning north I dropped down to Lower Lydbrook. It's a super-fast and fun descent from one village to the next down through a very narrow valley. The buildings and houses are close to the edges of the road making it worthwhile to take it slow... (I later found too, that I could have taken a cycle path...)

It was laugh-out-loud funny to watch people "try" to canoe...

At Lower Lydbrook, I discovered a lovely park at the junction of Stowfield Road and the Wye River. Folks were out having picnics and watching the canoes pass. I stopped for lunch and joined in.

I had traveled roughly halfway at this point and I needed a good rest with food. It was nice to sit and relax with everyone along the river.

The skies began to clear making for a lovely ride back along the Wye River...

I followed Stowfield Road north as it snaked along the Wye to Kerne Bridge where I crossed and turned south. I then headed down toward Symonds Yat; again following the Wye River, but on the opposite side. This area is nothing short of spectacular.

Nah, I don't care if ya got any clothes on...

It is often referred to as the "nations favourite river" and you can see why. It's no wonder that the Wye Valley is designated an Area of Outstanding Beauty.

Worthy of a Turner...

My kinda barn...

Kids having fun at Symonds yat...

I joined the Peregrine Path (NCN Route 423) at Symonds Yat. The converted rail line is stunning as it follows along the Wye River all the way to Monmouth.


Report Card
Ride Name: Forest of Dean
Start Date: Sun. Aug 05, 2018
Starts in: Oakdale, Wales, GB
Departed: 6:04 AM
Distance: 131.6 mi / 211.8 km
Elevation: + 5519 / - 5519 ft
Max Grade: 12.0%
Duration: 14:14:06
Move Time: 10:49:55
Stop Time: 03:24:11
Max. Speed: 34.3 mph
Avg. Speed: 12.1 mph
Weather: sun
Temp: 31°c / 88°f

Summary
I paused briefly at Monmouth for a snack, but then was away. It had been an incredible day, but a long one and I still had 50 miles to ride.

Fifteen miles later I reached Usk. I needed dinner and a proper break. I finished eating around 5:30 pm and kinda needed to hoof it. I had been out for more than ten hours. The remaining 35 miles left to cycle would take at least three hours.

And so it was. I stumbled through our back garden gate at 9:30 pm. I was one worn-out ole dog.

Writing this, reflecting back; I am ready to go again! In all honesty, I will probably have to wait to next summer and the longer days. But I'm going back. Count on it.

Seeya down the road... cheers! - cm

So damn cute...

I found this lovely little bike outside the Co-op in Usk. The town is getting ready for the Velothon and the Tour of Britain; both of which pass through here.



Back to top

Ads Inside Post