Introduction

Welcome to the Archive. Here you'll find all of my ride reports from the first eight years of cycling in Wales. The layouts used here are in the previous design which I'm currently updating, so be sure check back!

Saturday, July 14, 2018

SOLITAIRE 
Castell Nos & Aberdare


NCN Route 881 snakes it way up the Rhondda Fach Valley to the sleepy village of Maerdy. There's not much to see but a lovely valley. What more could you want?

 
Heading down the path toward Brecon...


 
It was a somber day. A week earlier there had been a terrible fire that swept across the northern hillside by Maerdy. There temperature was mild, but the sky was dark and overcast. The air felt as if rain was waiting for the right moment to begin. Hardly a soul was about.

 
Looking up at the scorched hillside above Maerdy...


 
Note: I could smell it for miles before I could see it. I had no idea the extent of deveastation until I reached Maerdy and could view the burnt hillside. It must have been horrific to witness. The locals say it was started by kids goofing around.
Overview - Castell Nos & Aberdare
Distance: 82.9 miles
Elevation: +5,743 ft / -5,743 ft
Duration: 10:13:34
This is a fairly easy ride considering the distance covered and the elevations climbed. There are a few significant hills, but they are relatively steady and once you tuck in... you're at the top before you really notice. The main consideration is that the route traverses a variety of terrain - from traffic-free cycle paths to rough gravel tracks and then some fairly busy main roads.
The ride starts off easily and mostly traffic-free for 15 miles on NCN Route 47 down through Sirhowy Park and onto the Monmouth & Brecon Canal to Rogerstone. (There are just a couple of places where you'll need to cycle on the road to connect between sections of the route.) NCN Route 4 (Celtic Trail East) follows quiet lanes for six miles across the valley to Machen, but returns to a traffic-free path for the remaining 13 miles through Caerphilly and on to Pontypridd. Total distance thus far is 34 miles.

At Pontypridd the route joins NCN Route 881 up to Maerdy. At the top of the valley, it climbs over the ridge along a logging road from Castle Nos Reservoir to the main road where it then drops very steeply into the town of Aberdare. The route continues up the Heads of the Valleys on a combination of busy roads and traffic-free paths of NCN Route 46 to Merthyr Tydfil and across to Tredegar where it finally turns south and heads back down Sirhowy Valley on NCN Route 467.

Castell Nos and Reservoir
I began documenting my ride once I reached Maerdy. There are two things of note; first, the fire completely scorched the hillside (as you can see!) and secondly, the path looks to be under construction? The gravel is new and has been rolled as if they may be planning to lay tarmac? That would be nice!

I'm not sure if this is a victim of the hillside fire or just an unlucky coincidence. Still, I keep a record of burnt vehicles I encounter because the Welsh kids seem to like to burn up stuff. (I've a gallery of images in the works, btw.)

Remnants of Castel Nos and the colliery sit along side the reservoir which adds a ghostly feel to the area. Now they're building wind farms. It's a land of change.

There was a colliery where the reservoir now floats. This paved section of NCN Route 881 follows along the old rail line that serviced the coal mine.

It's hard to imagine, but I try to picture a castle sitting on that knob of land, overlooking this narrow valley. It must have been fabulous. It was a Welsh one too... built to keep out the invading Normans, as you do.

Heads of the Valley
I climb the logging road above the valley and join the main road at the crest of the ridge. I'll have a short rolling bit before I drop steeply into the town of Aberdare.

Here we go!

And before I have time to take it all in, I'm down, down, down, racing through town, then back in the woods and deep in Cynon Valley.

Now it's time to climb again. I've got an uphill slog along the Heads of the Valley now. I'll be on the road for the first few miles heading to Merthyr Tydfil. Then I'll pop on a re-purposed rail line for a secluded ride further up the mountain to the sleepy community of Pant.

It's getting late in the afternoon as I pass a small pond at Dowlais. I've got it easy now. It's practically all downhill now for the next 18 miles.



Summary
Looking back, I could have documented this ride better. I've cycled most all of this route previously which often causes me to overlook parts. If you'd like to see some additional photos from an earlier date, check out my gallery: Maerdy & Aberdare.



Report Card
Ride Name: Castel Nos & Aberdare
Start Date: Mon. July 12, 2018
Starts in: Oakdale, Wales, GB
Departed: 09:07AM
Distance: 82.9 mi / 133.41 km
Elevation: + 5743 / - 5743 ft
Max Grade: 12.1%
Duration: 10:13:34
Move Time: 07:37:20
Stop Time: 02:36:14
Max. Speed: 38.3 mph
Avg. Speed: 10.9 mph
Weather: cloud /rain
Temp: 22°c / 72°f
My ride home was slow and uneventful. Feeling tired, I pulled my camera out one final time as I was leaving Parc Bryn Bach looking down Sirhowy Valley toward home. I hope you've enjoyed your time spent reading my diatribe...

Cheers! - cm




Back to top

Ads Inside Post