Introduction

Welcome to the Archive. Here you'll find all of my ride reports from the first eight years of cycling in Wales. The layouts used here are in the previous design which I'm currently updating, so be sure check back!

Thursday, June 28, 2018

SOLITAIRE 
Twin Peaks: The Bwlch & Rhigos


I got the notion in my head to do something big. Check out my day of riding across the Welsh Alps!

 


I have climbed both of these mountains individually, but not back-to-back in a single day. It just happened too, that it was the hottest day of the year.

Note: Before we begin, this site and most all my reports are designed to be viewed on a computer, ie NOT on a mobile phone. You will find that I've built a new image viewer using javascript and CSS. These "modal viewers" are a bit of experiment, but I hope they better showcase large numbers of photos... let me know what you think!
Overview - Twin Peaks: The Bwlch & Rhigos
Distance: 83.0 miles
Elevation: +5,803 ft / -5,803 ft
Duration: 11:18:00
Cyclists throughout Wales know about these two beasts (see: Geraint Thomas). They've been included on the Tour of Britain and currently make up a section of the Dragon Ride L’Etape Wales. Many cyclists call this part of the Rhondda Valleys; "Little Switzerland" and it's a fair description.

 
Time for a little break along the old road in Llantrisant...


So this was a big day for me. I stopped often as you might glean from the amount of photos included in my report. I should have left the house earlier than seven, for by the time I reached Blackmill it was 21°c. and getting hotter. As I was climbing the Rhigos, my Garmin recorded the temp. at 33°c., making it officially the hottest day of the year.

The Start: Oakdale to Nantymoel
I began by riding down the Rhymney Valley to Pontypridd where I then continued across to Church Village and Llantrisant. It's an easy-breazy 25 mile warm-up ride along quiet lanes and traffic-free cycle paths. It's a great route to start the day. You may have read about this section previously in my post about cycling The Bwlch.






From Llantrisant the route becomes a bit rougher in places as it climbs to the Ogwr Fach River valley. This short section west of Thomastown leads to one of the most isolated sections of NCN Route 4... and one of my favourites.






Getting to the top is a significant climb, but it's cool and shaded under a thick canopy of trees. It can be tricky if you encounter a car, but folks are friendly and always smile, wave hello.






Then surprisingly, you just pop out of the woods onto a vast ridge. There's nothing much up here but sheep, a few wind turbines, and brilliant scenery. For what else could a wandering cyclist ask?

Note: At this point, having shot less than 100 photos, the battery died in my Sony camera. Pretty frustrating... I've not yet reached one of my destinations and I'm going to have to rely upon my Samsung camera phone... Urgh.











At Blackmill I left NCN Route 4 and joined NCN Route 883 heading north through Ogmore Vale to Nantymoel. This will be the last cycle path before the ride changes... in a big way.






By the time I reached sleepy Nantymoel I had cycled just under 40 miles. Folks smile and wave hello. Cyclists are a common site here.





The Bwlch
There are three ways to climb the Bwlch and each has it's own character. This is the southern route; the shortest and perhaps the easiest. However, the first mile climbs nearly 600 feet at an average grade of 7%. That achievement gets you half way.






This horseshoe bend is just the second turn of three you'll make to reach the summit. Yeah, I stopped here to clamber along the hillside for the photo.






A short photo break is a well-deserved reward after reaching the bend. Of course, looking back at where you've been... to actually see how much you've climbed is pretty rewarding as well. But looking up the road is rather sobering.






Yeah, I'm that guy standing along side the road risking life and limb to take a few pointless photos of rocks. Can you guess where I was to take that last set?






Looking back down the Ogmore Valley... what a fabulous day. Yeah, I cycled all the way up here and you can too! It astounds me how easily it is see such vistas. I am so very lucky to live in Wales.






Then passing through a deep cut in the rocks near the summit, the Rhondda Valley just explodes before you... you could never had guessed. Stunning, breathtaking... gorgeous.

You can clearly see the effects of the dry summer we've been having. This valley is much more brown and dry. Now it's time for a fast ride!






For more photos and an extensive write-up on the western route; be sure to check out my ride report at Ride with GPS: The Bwlch.






Turning right at the end of the road, I head up into Cwmparc - just to see the mountains from within the village. I find it fascinating to see villages nestled in close to such dramatic landscapes. It's surprisingly quiet and embodies the charm of living in "The Valleys".

Women stand in their front gardens hanging laundry and casually chat across the road. Doors and windows are open. Children hop the walls and dart between parked cars. They all pause as they see me coming; then smile and wave frantically as only children do... the girls giggling and blushing, then the boys bold with bravado run along beside me and ask "where ya going mister?" One lad with bright clear eyes, just looks and says softly; "nice bike".





The Rhigos
Leaving Cwmparc, it's a short ride up through Treorchy and Treherbert to the base of Rhigos Mountain. I have to admit too that I love this area. It feels as if it's been lost to time. I wonder what has changed in the past twenty years?

It's quiet here. You can hear a car coming along the road from a surprising distance. Otherwise, it's just your tyres rolling over the tarmac and the wind. As I head for my next climb, I've cycled 50 miles now.






Looking across the valley toward the little village of Blaencwm... there's an old rail tunnel up there that's been buried for 40 years. A local group is working hard to have it re-opened for walking and cycling use. The tunnel was originally built for the coal industry as it connects the Rhondda Valley directly to the Afan Valley, Neath/Port Talbot and Swansea. Having it open again for tourism will bring a much needed boost to the economy - for a mostly impoverished community. Read more about this exciting project at: The Rhondda Tunnel Society.











The A4061 is the only road north out of town. It's roughly eight miles from Treherbet over the Rhigos to the next valley heading east; Afon Cynon and another "thriving Welsh metropolis" - Hirwaun.






Meanwhile, I climb. It's much warmer now. I'm going slow enough to see sweat drip from my face, hit the road and make a short-lived wet spot. My tyres crunch across loose bits of gravel and I can read the print on a discarded candy wrapper. I've got 4 mph pegged.






But man, it's pretty. I look over my right shoulder and just soak it in. I think to myself; "I'm here... doing this now." And as I write this; I long to be there again.






Reaching the top is no mean feat. Averaging a grade of 5%, it's not terribly steep. Some sections however; hit more than 12%. It's not the grade that you really feel; it's the length that you suffer as it lasts over 4.3 miles. It just goes on and on. But once you reach the top, it's wonderful. Your eyes will thank you (as will your legs!)

Then I discovered something interesting. I'm a sucker for history and stop at road markers religiously. Just read this short bit: Iron Age Settlement in the Rhondda. Pretty darn cool.











At the top, just around a bend, there's a car park with picnic tables, and on this day; even an ice cream truck has pulled over in a lay-by. As I was wandering about taking photos, another cyclist rode up to me. He too was dripping with sweat, and clearly loving the day out. "Just gotta stay hydrated"; he exclaimed with a wide smile.

He then went on to explain that he was also riding both the Bwlch and Rhigos. His trick, however; was that once in Hirwaun, he was going to turn around and come back the other way. Essentially, riding the Bwlch and Rhigos twice in one day. Not only was he doubling what I had done, but to top it off, he casually added that then he was going into work... for an eight-hour night shift. Urgh!






But I was not going to let his friggin' super-human efforts diminish my ride! I was having a lovely day and had a exciting ride down the mountain ahead of me. Time for photos, time to reflect and enjoy the day. I ride for a different reason.

So with that thought, I was down the road, heading for home. I am a lucky boy indeed. This tiny little country is so cute and grand at the same time. Its landscape is rough and rugged and soft and quiet. What was once dominated by coal mining; perhaps the worst industry to put upon a landscape - now shows the power of nature and re-birth.


Report Card
Ride Name: Twin Peaks
Start Date: Sat. Jun. 28, 2018
Starts in: Oakdale, Wales, GB
Departed: 6:59 AM
Distance: 83.0 mi / 133.6 km
Elevation: + 5803 / - 5803 ft
Max Grade: 14.1%
Duration: 11:18:00
Move Time: 07:36:47
Stop Time: 03:41:13
Max. Speed: 42.4 mph
Avg. Speed: 10.9 mph
Weather: sun/clouds
Temp: 31°c / 88°f
Summary
And that's the key, my friends. I don't ride for sport or for fitness. I'm not training for a race. I don't monitor my heart-rate. I know nothing about cadence. I ride for the simple pleasure I find exploring the world on a bicycle.

This ride took much longer than most other cyclists would take. I spent as much time as I wanted, stopping at every instance I fancied for a photograph (196 to be precise). I wandered and scampered and hiked as well as pedalled (83 miles).

I also climbed nearly 6,000 feet. I spent the entire day out - 11 hours and 18 minutes, to be exact. For those concerned, my average speed was 10.9 mph. I hit a top speed of 42.4 mph racing down the Rhigos.

So I hope you enjoyed your visit. Thanks for stopping by, for taking the time to follow me as I wander.

See ya down the road. Cheers! - cm


Back to top

Ads Inside Post