Introduction

Welcome to the Archive. Here you'll find all of my ride reports from the first eight years of cycling in Wales. The layouts used here are in the previous design which I'm currently updating, so be sure check back!

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

ADVENTURE RIDE 
Ground Zero


I wanted this ride to focus on the the little things around me; the often overlooked scenes I see everyday and new places I've discovered since we've been in lockdown.
I start every ride, that is; I turn on my Garmin GPS tracker just outside the abandoned boy scout hut here in Oakdale. It's by the sports field which seems a fitting location to begin and end my journeys.
Overview - Ground Zero
Distance: 30.2 miles
Elevation: + 2053 / - 2106 ft
Duration: 05:33:23
One benefit of the lockdown is that it has forced me to sharpen my focus. I'm finding new local areas and seeing aspects of our community which I've overlooked or not explored before and it's proving to be quite interesting. ▼ Jump to Summary
Today I'll be riding through Oakdale, Treowen, and Newbridge.
Oakdale
Our village is a "model village". It was designed and built by the Tredegar Iron and Coal Company following the sinking of the first mine shaft in 1911. It's rich in history much like the rest of this tiny country, but what sets us apart - is that from overhead, the central street layout matches the shape of the Millineum Falcon from Star Wars and that my friends is just about the coolest.
Another surprising feature to the village is that it is a rabbit warren of small back lanes, narrow cut-throughs, and hidden paths inter-connecting its various parts.
Of course, like most of the world now, our roads are incredibly quiet.
Climbing back over the hill behind our house... our views are still wonderful.
And the lambs are dandy.
And it's a wonderful day to be out on my bike.
Treowen
Just over the hill from Oakdale, hanging onto the western side of Ebbw Valley is the community of Treowen. Most often I just race through, so it was nice to slow down and take a few snaps because it's quite a charming little spot.
It's not that large, but there were several areas that I hadn't cycled through. What I've found can best be described as; personality.
I've learned from years of experience using online mapping systems; that not all roads or lanes are shown. Sometimes ya just gotta go places to find them.
Most houses in the Southeast Valleys were built during the industrial revolution for the families of iron and coal workers. They are either attached homes (long rows of connected houses) or semi-attached (two houses joined at the hip). Single houses; though not-uncommon are relatively few and most often come in the form of small "bungalows" consisiting of a single story.
This bungolow is very unique for it has an unusually large front and side garden. The landscaping and topiary is quite charming and looking at it today reminds me of Alice in Wonderland.
Newbridge
Further down the hill from Treowen, wedged between high ridges on either side with the Ebbw River running though its center, sits the small town of Newbridge. I've cycled past the town park more times than I can count without ever entering it. Not today.
There's no one around. I've seen less than 10 people out walking. Clearly the lockdown is keeping everyone indoors... which is sad, because it's such a lovely day. Strange times, indeed.
Some photos I look at later and wonder to myself: "what was I thinking?" I don't know why I didn't put my bike in the photo below? I'll be going back.
I'm thinking that most people wouldn't touch this excercise equipment for fear of Covid-19. From tools for your health to death machines!
I've never seen any kids rockin' this BMX course. Looks pretty cool to me... I tried it on my Dawes and thought; "Stop now! Do not do this." What an embarracingly stupid headline that would make for the papers. 60 year old man nearly kills himself riding touring bike on children's BMX course!
I'm continuously surprised at the variety of landscapes in Wales. All you really need to do is head down toward one of the many rivers and it's generally undeveloped; lush and green and quiet.

Summary - Ground Zero
As the start of an experiment - a closer inspection of the areas nearby home; I think it was somewhat successful. Looking over my images and thinking about Oakdale, I've missed several spots... so, I'll keep working.

I enjoyed the process though and because it's right here where I live, I can easily reshoot and edit as my heart desires. I just hope the weather stays as nice as it's been for the past few weeks!

Thanks as always for stopping by.

Cheers! - cm
Report Card
Ride Name: Ground Zero
Start Date: Sun. May 12, 2020
Starts in: Oakdale, Wales, GB
Departed: 11:15 AM
Distance: 30.2 mi / 48.60 km
Elevation: + 2053 / - 2106 ft
Max Grade: 12.7%
Duration: 05:33:23
Move Time: 03:26:24
Stop Time: 02:06:59
Max. Speed: 25.4 mph
Avg. Speed: 8.8 mph
Weather: sun!
Temp: 13°c / 55°f

Ads Inside Post