Introduction

Welcome to the Archive. Here you'll find all of my ride reports from the first eight years of cycling in Wales. The layouts used here are in the previous design which I'm currently updating, so be sure check back!

Saturday, March 25, 2017

GROUP EVENT 
The Winding House


Going to the Winding House in New Tredegar to see this magnificent machine in operation was really impressive. It was wonderful to see everyone and we shared a lovely ride up through Rhymney Valley. Ya can't beat that!

 



 
The Winding House is all about the machine... on a MASSIVE scale. And you really have to see the thing running to appreciate the magnitude of force behind this feat of engineering. It is humbling to reflect upon how its basic operation was central to the extraction of men and coal.
WINDING HOUSE RIDE
PartHengoed to New Tredegar
Distance: 12.7 miles
Elevation: + 800 / - 864 ft
Our group met at the Hengoed Train Station on a lovely Saturday morning. Our plan was simple; we were going to follow NCN Route 468 through Bargoed up to New Tredegar to see the running of the Winding Wheel. We then planned to continue north to Rhymney where we would turn around and head back on the same route returning to Hengoed.
I found myself quite unprepared to see the winding wheels begin to spin. First off, they are massive cast iron... you can sense their weight by just looking at them. Secondly, we were standing so close to them. It was frightening.
And yet, we can walk away and relax... have a coffee or tea with cake. (So unlike what the miners had!) I wonder what they would think if they saw us today? Sitting back and contemplating their lives... their struggle and hardship... was it all for this?
I feel quite fat and lazy and extraordinarily fortunate, yet I hope to show my appreciation and understanding. I truly admire the people that lived and worked here.

Kerry, Paul, Adrian, the kidd, Tom, and Deano

WINDING HOUSE RIDE
PartRhymney and Hengoed
Distance: 16.5 miles
Elevation: + 951 / - 886 ft
Today, I was not in a hole in the ground. I was not digging coal. I didn't have to come home to wash coal dust off in a dirty metal tub in a cold kitchen and go to bed early only get up to do it all again. I was out in the sunshine, with my friends, having a bit of vacation and riding my bike.
I can look back and remember this day... for this day was unique and I am very, very fortunate to share this with my friends. Thank you everyone. I am a lucky boy, indeed.
▲ Back to top

Ads Inside Post