Introduction

Welcome to the Archive. Here you'll find all of my ride reports from the first eight years of cycling in Wales. The layouts used here are in the previous design which I'm currently updating, so be sure check back!

Thursday, May 5, 2016

SOLITAIRE 
Llangynidr & the Vale of Usk


Join me as I recount my trip from 2016 when I first put together a large circular loop covering the Brecon Beacons and the Vale of Usk.

 
The moors of Llangynidr Commons...


 
Note: I'll forever be indebted to Tim John for pointing out the route over Llangynidr Commons. Now it's one of my favourites and quite possibly my most photographed. Thanks Tim!
Overview - Llangynidr & the Vale of Usk
Distance: 80.6 miles
Elevation: + 5802 / - 5802 ft
Duration: 10:37:50
This ride ties together some of my favourite areas into one big loop; Llangynidr Commons, Crickhowell, Sugarloaf Mountain, the Vale of Usk, Newport, and the Sirhowy Valley. It's massive and expansive. The scenery is diverse and stunning. It's also a route that I now make at least once a year. It's a "classic". ▼ Jump to Summary
It's a slow and steady climb up to Llangynidr Commons from Beaufort and Garnlydarn, but it's well worth the effort. Along with giving yourself a much needed breather, it's worthwhile to stop on occasion to just look around.

Traffic is generally very light and if you wait a few moments, you can snap a few pictures without a car in sight. The wind is all that I can hear.

The Black Mountains are to the right (east) whilst I continue north, this is the beginning of the Brecon Beacons. I've travelled roughly 18 miles from our home in Oakdale.

There's a lay-by worth stopping at the summit. Put your bike down and just walk around. A short walk either left or right of the road offers spectacular views. It is thought that the piles of rocks are prehistoric cairns dating back thousands of years.

The ride down to Llangynidr races for three spectacular miles. It's hard to not "just let it go", but on days like this, with views of 360°, I just gotta stop!

And then you're down... just like that. Turning right on the main road (Cyffredyn Rd.) heads east toward Crickhowell.

The scenery is much more rural now that you're down in the valley floor. The road is very narrow as it runs between the Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal and the River Usk. Also, it can be quite busy during rush hour, so you need to plan your ride carefully.

The Crickhowell Bridge crosses over the River Usk into town. The bridge is well known for being the longest stone bridge in Wales and more oddly as having a 12 arches upstream whilst having 13 downstream. (I need to go back and get more photos!)

Leaving out of Crickhowell, the route turns east and begins a steep climb over to the next valley.

Views at the top of the ridge look down the valley toward Abergavenny. Then the road turns and drops steeply at a 25% grade down to the village of Llangenny.

The route heads north out of Llangenny following the Genny River for the next five miles in a wide curve along the base of Sugarloaf Mountain.

The road is rolling with some steep sections, but it's incredibly quiet and isolated. The valley is pristine and feels untouched.

The few houses you pass are far from the road. All you really see is one pasture leading to the next, again and again.

I stopped at one point and happened to spot this sculpture through the hedge. Had I been moving, I'd have never seen it.

The lanes are incredibly quiet. If there is a car coming down the road, you can hear it long before it reaches you. Also, this view of the Skirrid from the west is unusual.

It's just a perfect day and this is a perfect route.


Summary - Llangynidr & the Vale of Usk
At nearly 6,000 feet of elevation gain this is one of my more strenuous rides. However, it's a great route for just getting away.

I made this ride again in 2017 which and I've another version that's worth checking out; "Llangynidr Commons & Sugarloaf Classic".

Thanks as always for stopping by.

Cheers! - cm
Report Card
Ride Name: Llang & Vale of Usk
Start Date: Thu. May 05, 2016
Starts in: Oakdale, Wales, GB
Departed: 9:36 AM
Distance: 80.6 mi / 105.3 km
Elevation: + 5802 / - 5802 ft
Max Grade: 11.4%
Duration: 10:37:50
Move Time: 07:49:20
Stop Time: 02:48:30
Max. Speed: 38.6 mph
Avg. Speed: 10.3 mph
Weather: clouds, sun
Temp: 21°c / 70°f

Ads Inside Post