Introduction

Welcome to the Archive. Here you'll find all of my ride reports from the first eight years of cycling in Wales. The layouts used here are in the previous design which I'm currently updating, so be sure check back!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

ARCHIVE
Looking for Clydach Gorge...

Yesterday was quite a day. I set out thinking I'd have a straight-forward ride to Abergavenny and meet with the folks of Sustrans, but that turned out to be rather naive, to put it mildly.
Following a backbreaking climb from Tredegar to Brynmawr, I rode east along the cliffs of NCN 46 for about 2 miles to suddenly find Clydach gorge closed due to construction and renovations. Urgh. (see photo below...)
Not to be deterred, I cycled back to the entrance and tried a different approach up toward LLanally Hill. 30 minutes later I knew that there was no turning back. The narrow road turned to an unpaved trail then to a dirt path and finally to what can be best described as a "goat track".
I found myself at the top of a mountain without GPS service and no where to go but down... down a very steep road. And so I continued on with only a vague notion of where I was heading when suddenly from around a blind curve another cyclist popped up and asked; "where ya headed, mate?" And with that surprising encounter I was lead down the mountain into Gilwern and then Abergavenny.
Once into town I came across a group of gentlemen relaxing on a bench by the park along the Usk river. As it turned out, they had ridden their vintage touring bikes up from Cwmcarn. Weird?!? So after a brief introduction, explanation, and the general "how-do-ya-do's", they offered to lead me back down the valley... and away we went. What a wonderful surprise.

Meanwhile here are a few more shots from around Clydach Gorge.

and here's the gratuitous "bike shot"...
Despite having a great little adventure, I never meet up with the group from Sustrans... until next time. Cheers!

Ads Inside Post